COVID-19 (the new novel coronavirus) is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. Let’s work to prevent the spread.
STAY AT HOME IF YOU HAVE CORONAVIRUS SYMPTOMS
Stay at home for 7 days if you have:
- A high temperature: You feel hot to touch on your chest or back.
- A new, continuous cough – this means you’ve started coughing repeatedly.
- If someone in your home has a persistent cough or fever. Everyone living there must stay at home for 14 days.
DO NOT go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Read the NHS advice about staying at home: nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice
HOW TO AVOID CATCHING OR SPREADING CORONAVIRUS
- Stay home where possible. Stop non-essential contact with others and non-essential travel.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often, for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching common public surfaces such as metal or plastic.
- Use 60% alc. hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are unavailable
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
USE THE NHS 111 ONLINE CORONAVIRUS SERVICE IF:
- You feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home.
- Your condition gets worse.
- Your symptoms do not get better after 7 days.
- Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.
HOW CORONAVIRUS IS SPREAD?
Because it’s a new illness, we do not know exactly how coronavirus spreads from person to person.
Similar viruses are spread in cough droplets.
It’s very unlikely it can be spread through things like packages or food.
TREATMENT FOR CORONAVIRUS
There is currently no specific treatment for coronavirus. Treatments are being tested. The earliest a vaccine is likely to be available is 2021.
Use Paracetamol to help with lowering a fever. Avoid anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, as this may worsen the symptoms.
Antibiotics do not help, as they do not work against viruses.
SHOUT CRISIS TEXT LINE
*NOT FOR MEDICAL ADVICE* For anyone struggling with their mental health in isolation or suffering from anxiety or worry. Please text SHOUT to 85258. Shout offer free 24/7 textline support for those feeling in crisis in the UK
Even if you’re self-isolating, you’re not alone.