How social media impacts volunteering
Are you struggling to spread the word about your mission and garner more support for your non-profit through social media?
It’s completely understandable. A lack of funding, time, knowledge, or resources may all contribute to diminishing your success.
But how can you avoid becoming discouraged if your non-profit’s social media presence isn’t performing as well as you’d hoped? Is it really possible to receive donations, garner support, and attract volunteers organically through social platforms? The answer is so simple: YES!
With 4.48 billion active social media users across the globe, social media is one of the most important tools that organisations could employ to raise brand awareness, recruit new volunteers, increase donations, and develop partnerships.
If you run a non-profit and you are wondering how social media can help you with these tasks, stay tuned. We have some unique ideas for you that could help you increase the success of your organisation.
Benefits of effective social media marketing for non-profit organisations
Some of the key benefits include:
1. Social media can significantly expand the reach of your organisation.
2. It is able to help to spread the word about your organisation’s mission.
3. Social marketing channels could support you to grow your network of volunteers and partners.
4. Interactive content allows the audience to participate and feel more engaged (polls, quizzes, etc.)
5. Its posts are free, meaning you can also publish your content more quickly.
6. You can share information relevant to your organisation (news, events, etc.)
7. You can add links to your posts to your website, donors’ page, and/or blog.
8. You can easily and quickly receive valuable feedback from your audience.
✓ Read also: Most popular social media platforms for non-profits
What is needed to start promoting your non-profit on social media?
Before we dive into more details, let’s make sure we’ve got the basics covered by having a meaningful content plan. As with any new marketing campaign, firstly you’ll need to know what you’re working towards to effectively promote your mission.
This includes the following:
✓ Establishing clear goals on what you want to accomplish: Are you more focused on increasing brand awareness, attracting new volunteers, or raising donations?
✓ Who is your target audience: What type of content does my audience enjoy? What platforms are they using more regularly?
✓ Which social platforms you’ll be using: If you don’t have the appropriate resources maybe it would be wise to be more focused on the platforms that your audience is using more.
✓ Put your strategy in place: Create a monthly (or weekly) schedule that allows you to post consistently. Develop a pipeline of content that is based on your goals, audience, and your resources! Find new ways to go the extra mile with what you have!
Tips for non-profit organisations
Here are some guidelines to help you, regardless which platform you use:
- You should be actively involved. Organisations that are successful with social media will post once a day or more and 3 or 4 times per week. Posting once or twice a month will not help you achieve your goals.
- Optimise your organisation’s profiles on each social media network with a clear mission statement, bio, and image. Include keywords to make it easier for your target audience to find your page.
- Use relevant hashtags. People on social media use hashtags to find content and accounts according to their interests. Be careful not to overuse hashtags because this makes the content of the post less relevant than the hashtags themselves. For example, we frequently use #edchat, #edtech, #1houratatime and #remotevolunteering.
- Consider scheduling regular postings with software tools like Hootsuite. Find the most suitable content plan for your organisation here.
- Monitoring the analytics of your postings is important to enhance your marketing strategy. For example, you can monitor the number of followers, likes, comments, and traffic to your website from your social media postings and build your strategy according to the results.
- Use interesting, engaging, and interactive visual content following the trends on each social media channel. Find out here what are the biggest social media trends for 2021. It is also a good idea to invest in videos – videos can result in 15 times more “shares” than text and images.
- Use call-to-action words in postings, such as “comment your thoughts,” “show some love and like this post,” “share this post to spread the word,” and other such phrases.
- Be prompt when engaging with your audience, answering questions, replying to comments, and responding to messages. Remember, social media is just as much about customer service, as it is driving traffic to your website.
- Make sure that your website promotes social media icons on every page. This is a simple way to win more followers who are already engaging with your organisation.
- Use free graphic design tools like Canva to add graphics to your blog entries and social media posts.
By successfully implementing a comprehensive social media marketing strategy, a non-profit organisation can use it to attract more volunteers and improve its visibility. Try out some of these tactics to start attracting followers today.